Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Building the Framework: After-School Program Paradigm for Ameliorating Inequalities

After numerous years working in youth-centered non-profit programs, I have realized that there are numerous areas in which the informal sector of education can improve. The objectives of after school programs are admirable. In order to ameliorate the the inequalities that many youth face in school, specifically those from low-income areas, after-school programs provides a safe environment where many youth can flourish. I myself am graduating this year after working extensively at my college to form partnerships between my college and the surrounding communities. I pose a couple questions that I seek answers to before I continue on my path to addressing present in our education system:
  1. What are some requirements for a successful after-school program?
  2. What are some things that prohibit the effectiveness of after-school programs?
  3. What inequalities do after-school programs seek to address?

No comments: